Weekend trail rides are all fun and games – until they’re not. Follow our MAD-RAMPS ATV Safety Guide, and you’ll hit the trails as a smart and safe rider, weekend after weekend.
- Protect your body. Always wear a DOT-compliant helmet, long sleeves, long pants, goggles, gloves, and over-the-ankle boots.
- ATVs are designed to be used off-road. Never ride on paved roads unless it’s necessary to cross over to another unpaved area. In such a case, always make sure you wait until the road is completely cleared of other vehicles.
- Don’t cave under peer pressure. Never allow a passenger on a single-rider ATV, and never more than one passenger on an ATV meant for two people.
- Watch out. Make sure you attentively supervise all riders under the age of 16, and make sure you’re only riding age-appropriate ATVs.
- Safe rides make for the best rides. Always inspect your ATV before going out. Inspect all controls and cables to be sure they’re intact and operational. Tires and rims should show no damage. For complete pre-ride inspection, use this checklist from the ATV Safety Institute.
- Ride smart. Same as cars – no drinking and driving. Don’t show off by doing tricks and stunts you’re not prepared or trained for. Don’t speed. Ride with another person, and never ride when tired.